July 24, 2019
Now through August 4th is my favorite sale of the year, the 2019 Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. At this time of year everywhere I look I see bloggers, fashionistas, and social media influencers talking about their favorite picks from the Anniversary Sale.
Why all the hype?
Each year Nordstrom releases new fall items in the summer at a significantly lower price. Think all of your favorite brands – Tory Burch, Rebecca Minkoff, Vince Camuto and more – on sale! This event is the first chance to get a peek at the upcoming trends and styles, and it’s a chance to snatch up something brand new for fall and winter, at a sale price, before the season starts. With this sale, there’s not waiting until the end of the season to pick out a leftover item that you won’t be able to wear for another year.
With so much buzz, and only two short weeks to shop, it’s easy to get caught up in the hype when shopping this type of sale.
Before you do, check out these 5 tips to help keep you from making a poor purchasing decision.
5 Nordstrom Anniversary Sale Tips
- Write a list before you shop. If there’s something you’ve been wanting for a while, this sale is the perfect time to look for it. An item is only really on sale, if you were already going to buy it anyway. Anything you buy that you didn’t want before you saw it, is an impulse purchase.
- Plan a budget. The only way to make sure you don’t go over budget, is to decide up front what your budget actually is, then stick to it. Knowing how much you have to spend, along with a written list (item #1 above), will help keep you from making an impulse purchase. And when you can’t decide between a $150 pair of designer shoes and a $150 pair of designer denim, the item on your list is the one that you should keep.
- Buy both sizes. Because the sale is only on for a short time, if you’re online shopping, you’ll want to order both sizes right away. Items in this sale go fast, if you choose the incorrect size, you may be able to get the correct one before the sale is over. However, if you’re someone who doesn’t make returns diligently, this is not the step for you. If you won’t make your returns fast, you should only shop in the store, so that you can try on the item and walk out with exactly the one you need. Otherwise you run the risk of having abandoned items in your closet, until you finally go to the store (or post office) to make your return.
- Be sure to check out both basic and designer items. If you’ve always wanted a high ticket item, this is the sale to buy it. Designer pieces are part of the sale and it’s a great way to save quite a bit of money on luxury goods, especially handbags and boots. For example, the Tory Burch Everly Leather Tote is on sale for $352.90, regular price $528.00 and these Stuart Weitzman Over The Knee Boots are on sale for $399.90, regular price $695.00. This sale is also a great time to replace your basics. I use this sale every year to freshen up my underwear and bras, especially the Hanky Panky Low Rise Thongs (sale price $16.90, regular price $22.00) and Chantelle Bras (sale price $55.90, regular price $84.00).
- Have fun! It’s easy to stress out during a sale. Don’t do it. If something doesn’t work out, an item you want sells out, or you simply can’t find anything you want to buy, don’t worry about it. There will always be another sale you can shop.