September 21, 2017
In my last post I began my Fall Capsule Wardrobe Check-In and discussed what was and wasn’t working over the past month. My fall wardrobe was all ready to go after I culled it down to a manageable 42 items. Until I walked into Target to buy stuff for my home, and walked out with stuff for my closet.
Does this ever happen to anyone else?
Anyway, I carried the new floral printed shell and pink jeans home and assembled this outfit from my capsule wardrobe. The soft colors are exactly what I’m looking for this season. Sold on keeping these 2 surprise additions I have a bit of work to do now. If I want to add new things to my wardrobe and keep it the same size, then old stuff has to go. Otherwise I’ll end up with a capsule wardrobe well over 42 items all over again. Thus flushing all of my hard work down the drain. Bleh!
To keep my fall wardrobe the same size, I added 2 pieces to the hold pile. The 3/4 sleeve tunic is on hold for spring and the dark wash skinny jeans are on hold for winter. While it’s great that I’m keeping my current capsule wardrobe the same size, I’ve once again put things on hold for my winter capsule wardrobe. After all, in addition to the jeans above, during my Fall Capsule Wardrobe Check-In, I placed 3 items on hold for my winter capsule wardrobe (black hoodie, black knit, and dark wash bootcut jeans).
Since I want a small, highly functional wardrobe, where I wear 80% of my clothes and let the other 20% sit (unlike the usual wear 20% and let 80% sit unworn) then I simply can’t have lots of pieces sitting unused over multiple seasons. With this in mind, I already had 2 pairs of jeans sitting on hold from my fall capsule wardrobe prep that are suitable to use in the winter (mid-wash bootcut jeans and purple skinny jeans). If I want to add 2 more pairs to my hold pile for winter, then the old pairs in the hold pile have to go. The same rule applies to the black knit. If I’m adding 1 in, then another knit already in the winter capsule wardrobe pile has to go. Finally, the black hoodie can be worn casually in place of the navy turtleneck, which was also worn in casual outfits.
Now that I’ve sorted out my hold items for my winter capsule I’m going to review exactly what’s inside my 2017 Fall Capsule Wardrobe as well as what the total cost of this wardrobe is.
2017 Fall Capsule Wardrobe
I have 42 items in my 2017 Fall Capsule Wardrobe:
1 hoodie, 1 pullover knit, and 4 cardigans.
2 blazers and 1 jacket.
6 pairs of jeans (1 boyfriend, 4 skinny, 1 bootcut).
8 tops (3 shirts, 1 long sleeve top, 1 three-quarter sleeve tunic, and 3 sleeveless tops.
1 long-sleeve t-shirt, 1- 3/4 sleeve t-shirt, 3 short sleeve t-shirts, 4 tank tops, and 3 scarves.
7 shoes (2 cowgirl boots, 2 short boots, and 3 ballet flats).
What about the total cost?
The total cost of this wardrobe is $2,302.86. Half the cost of this wardrobe is from shoes ($825.76) and toppers (blazers, jackets, cardigans, and pullovers; $561.99). My shoes is usually the most expensive category in my seasonal wardrobes. Why? I have a fondness for boots and boots are pricey. Three of the four pairs of boots in the capsule wardrobe cost over $100 at the time of purchase. And one pair of my cowgirl boots was a whopping $273.74! But, I’ve owned them for 3 years and already worn them 39 times. That puts the cost per wear (or use) to $7.02. And I have no plans to get rid of them anytime soon.
Now that my fall capsule wardrobe is sorted, I’ll use this capsule for the next 2 months. Then it’ll be time to once again create a new capsule wardrobe—for winter.
And if you missed it, here’s how this capsule wardrobe has evolved over time:
- Fall Capsule Wardrobe Check-In
- Fall Capsule Wardrobe Prep (Part 5) — Review And Final Decisions
- Fall Capsule Wardrobe Prep (Part 4) — Nordstrom Anniversary Sale Keepers
- Fall Capsule Wardrobe Prep (Part 3) — Nordstrom Anniversary Sale Picks
- Fall Capsule Wardrobe Prep (Part 2) — The 5 Steps To Update A Capsule Wardrobe
- Fall Capsule Wardrobe Prep (Part 1) — Action Plan
Do you know how much your fall capsule wardrobe costs?