August 14, 2017
In the past men’s and women’s fashion were quite different. Men’s fashion operated within a much tighter framework than women’s fashion and rarely featured anything with big silhouettes (ie avant garde) or dramatic statements. Instead the garments kept the focus on the details of classic pieces with a keen eye to tailoring, and a flair towards military and sportswear styles.
Today the lines between men’s and women’s fashion have become blurred. Fashion sneakers such as the Adidas Superstar are worn by both men and women alike. The same can be said for loafers, oxfords, boyfriend style jeans, and tweed blazers. Plus, men’s clothing is sometimes cheaper than women’s (and better quality), which further encourages crossing over the lines of which sex is wearing what. In today’s day and age, everyone can wear everything! That’s why I keep an eye on both men’s and women’s fashion trends.
These are my picks of the 5 hottest trends I’m seeing in the stores for fall — for men:
- Quilted Jackets. The perfect lightweight layer for fall’s cooler days is a quilted jacket. These styles often work well for business casual outfits during the workweek with a shirt and trousers, and are just as nice when the trousers are swapped with jeans and a henley top on the weekend. This Cole Haan Herringbone Yoke Quilted Jacket comes in a flattering shade of navy which is a pleasant change from black all of the time, the Vince Camuto Quilted Moto Jacket has a streamlined look, and the Billy Reid Diamond Quilted Jacket is a nice alternative from wearing a blazer with jeans.
- Statement Prints. For women the trend has been statement sleeves and for men it’s all about a statement print. Once again the bigger the better. This Denim Western Shirt by Lucky Brand and this Adidas Originals ADC Fashion Sweatshirt are 2 pieces I would steal from DH in a heartbeat.
- Shawl Collar Cardigans. Every season mock-necks, half zips, and full zip sweaters are in men’s collections. This year a new addition to the mix has arrived, the shawl collar cardigan. This neckline and cardigan style is a refreshing change from the standard pullovers I typically see. This Marled Shawl Cardigan has a little texture to it to add a subtle pattern mix to any outfit while this Supima Cotton Rib Shawl Cardigan is available in a stone color that will brighten up a dreary day.
- Tracksuits. A little 90’s nostalgia and a dash of American thrown in create the perfect casual look with a retro flair. Plus, with a tracksuit there’s no thinking about what tops and bottom pair together the best because everything is already coordinated for you. This Adidas Superstar Track Jacket perfectly pairs with these Adidas Originals Superstar Track Pants. And if you want to bring the matchy matchy look all the way down to your shoes, pop on these Adidas Superstar Sneakers.
- Skinny Jeans. Skinny jeans aren’t just for the ladies, they are available for guys too! A skinny fit jean instantly adds a bit of polish to casual outfits and can easily be dressed up with loafers or oxfords, or dressed down with fashion sneakers. Levi’s Men’s 510 Skinny Fit Jeans is a classic that works well on a straighter body type and the Calvin Klein Slim-Straight Fit is another good option. If you like this look but you’re someone with a little more curve to your shape stick to the dark wash and pick up an athletic fit instead like these 181 Relaxed Straight by Lucky Brand.
Interested in the trends for women this season instead? Check out my previous post on the 5 Hot Trends for Fall 2017 — For Women.
Which trend will you be adding to your fall capsule wardrobe?