August 10, 2017
The fall season is approaching fast which means that it’s time to start putting together your fall capsule wardrobe. If your wardrobe from last year looks a little dated sometimes all it takes is adding 1 or 2 on trend items and suddenly that old wardrobe will feel new again. These are my picks of the 5 hottest trends I’m seeing in the stores for fall:
- Anything Velvet. Blazers, kimonos, shoes, booties, handbags, no matter what the item is this season it is covered in velvet. I adore velvet because it’s not only soft to the touch, but the piece will also work from now all the way through the upcoming holiday season. Update your flats with this Sam Edelman Raisa Bow Flat which comes in 9 colors. And if you don’t want to update your shoes this Soft Camera Crossbody Handbag is perfect for running errands on the weekends. Or update your blazers with this Velvet Executive Blazer. When it comes to velvet this season, the options are endless!
- Statement Sleeves. It all began with off the shoulder and cold shoulder styles this past spring and summer and now statement sleeves have evolved. Ruffle sleeves, tiered sleeves, bell sleeves, balloon sleeves, flared sleeves, fringe sleeves, poet sleeves, pleat-sleeves, the more dramatic the sleeve the better. If you want to sport a simple outfit without excessive layering but still make an impact, pick up a statement sleeve. I’m eyeballing this Crewneck Sweater With Fringe and I just adore the look of this Fluted Pleat Sleeve Sweater and this Cashmere Poet Sleeve Pullover.
- Ankle Cut Out Booties. The opportunity to go sockless but have a little extra foot coverage makes ankle cut out booties perfect for transitional weather. They are also ideal for climates with a warm fall and winter season. This Soho Cobbler Daedrmr Side Notch Leather Booties and these Vince Camuto Prasata Booties are both lovely neutral shades. The Vince Camuto Bootie I tried on a few weeks ago and I still remember how comfortable they were. Ankle cut out booties work really when when paired with the next item below.
- Raw Hem Jeans. The top denim trend right now is a raw hem jean, also called an undone hem or frayed hem. More often than not when I spot a pair of skinny jeans in the stores right now, it’s all about a raw hem. Raw hem’s can be as simple as taking your favorite skinny jeans and cutting the hems off yourself, or you can pick up these AG The Legging Raw Hem Ankle Jeans or these 1822 Denim Raw Hem Crop Skinny Jeans.
- Floral Prints. Floral prints commonly pop up in spring and summer collections but this year they are sticking around for fall. I’ve already added this Rails Embroidered shirt to my fall capsule wardrobe. My new shirt has light colors to it making it perfect to sport in the spring season too, but if you really want your floral prints to say fall pick up a dark floral option. This Floral Stretch-Modal Crew would pair well with the velvet pink shoes or pink bag from trend #1 and this Floral Print Power Mesh Top would work well with the brown booties and raw hem jeans from trends #3 and #4.
Which trend will you be adding to your fall capsule wardrobe?