June 5, 2017
This is part 2 of a 3-part series where I am preparing my summer capsule wardrobe. Here’s an overview of how I’ll work through this process:
- Part One I’ll review, edit, and shop my closet for my summer capsule wardrobe
- Part Two I’ll write my shopping list and go shopping for my summer capsule wardrobe
- Part Three I’ll review what’s in this capsule wardrobe and pre-plan how to wear some of the new things I’ve added to my summer capsule wardrobe
Now onto the fun!
Part Two-Write my shopping list and go shopping
I walked away from part 1 with a few empty hangers in my closet, which meant I’m able to go shopping for new things! But before I do, first I have to come up with a list.
Unlike prior years, for this capsule wardrobe I wanted to make a big shift and changing the core color for this capsule wardrobe. My summer capsule wardrobe last year was built around white and black—a LOT of black. I knew going into this summer season that I wanted to lighten up this capsule wardrobe. After reviewing the light color options offered by retailers I selected tan as my new core color. My goal was to ensure that the bulk of my purchases were centered around pairing well with tan. Here are the first 11 pieces that I purchased.
- Top Row: 3 tan cardigans (Target, Walmart, and Theory)
- Middle Row: 1 tan printed blouse (Lucky Brand), 2 t-shirts (Target), 1 tank (Theory), 1 tank (Walmart)
- Bottom Row: Espadrilles (Franco Sarto), Boat Shoes (Sperry’s), Slip-On Sneaker (Target)
My goal was to lighten up this capsule wardrobe, but that doesn’t mean that I’m ready to give up all of my black items just yet. I still have lots of black footwear in my closet and I do enjoy the pairing of white (or blue), with black in the summer months. Also, because I’m doing a big shift in colors for this capsule wardrobe, I want to make sure that I have some black pieces just in case I don’t end up enjoying wearing light, earthy colors all of the time.
- Upper left corner. Tops with exposed shoulders were 1 of my 5 hot trends for summer 2017, I picked up one of each style for date nights. Since my going out sandals are black, I chose 2 tops that pair well with the shoes I already have. Both tops are from White House Black Market.
- Upper right corner. I wanted to try something different for this season, so I selected the style of a tunic paired with cropped leggings. I already own black flat sandals and black ballet flats, and this outfit combination may work well with those styles of shoes. I’m not 100% sure that I’m going to like wearing tunics with leggings, so I stuck with only 2 tops and 1 bottom and made sure that all of these pieces were purchased on sale, this way if I don’t care for this look I won’t feel quite as guilty because the pieces weren’t purchased at full price. The cardigan, 2 tunics, and leggings are all from White House Black Market.
- Bottom row. The Adidas Superstar was another one of my 5 hot trends for summer 2017. In hindsight I probably should have picked up a pair with a lighter color stripe than black, but too late now. The black and white striped tank top is from Walmart and this top paired with white cargo pants was 1 of my weekend looks from my 10 essentials for a casual summer wardrobe.
Now that my shopping is complete I have 2 final steps to do before this capsule wardrobe is complete, number crunch what’s in this capsule wardrobe and test out a couple of outfit combinations, which I’ll do in my next post.
Did you keep the same core colors as last year’s summer capsule wardrobe?