May 25, 2017
One of the best things about when the season’s change is that I get to create a new capsule wardrobe. To begin my capsule wardrobe, I always like to include a core group of pieces, they are the items that my wardrobe can’t function without. Here’s my personal list of 10 items I must have in my casual summer capsule wardrobe, along with the reason why I’ve picked each item.
Shopping Brake’s 10 Essentials For A Casual Summer Wardrobe:
- Denim Jacket. The first piece that I add to my summer capsule wardrobe year after year is a denim jacket. Layering a denim jacket over a t-shirt (or other top) adds a little extra interest to my looks, as well as warmth in air conditioned settings. I’ve had my current jacket (by Kut From The Kloth) for 5 years and it’s still going strong, but this one by Kut From The Kloth is similar.
- Lightweight Cardigan. When I’m not in the mood for my denim jacket I typically reach for a lightweight cardigan. Once again the cardigan adds a little interest to my outfit of the day, while providing a barrier from air conditioned settings. This Jackie Cardigan from JCrew pairs well with jeans and a button down shirt or a tank top and shorts.
- Graphic Tee. When it’s too hot to layer anything a graphic print tee adds a little interest to an outfit all on its own. I recently picked up this one.
- Shorts. There are always at least a few days when it’s just too hot to wear anything else, and shorts fit the bill. I’ve had these 4 inch shorts by JCrew for 3 years and they still look great. If you aren’t a shorts gal, once again skirts are another good option.
- Cropped Jeans. In air conditioned settings my legs get cold fast. Cropped jeans and pants provide a little extra warmth and come with the extra bonus of covering up my legs on days when I’m too lazy to shave. 🙂 If you aren’t a pants gal, long skirts is a great alternative. I have 2 pairs of boyfriend jeans, white and blue denim, which are from last season but these and these are similar.
- Weekend Outfit. Since I work in a casual office setting, everything in this list except for the shorts can be worn during the workweek. But sometimes I want a change from my weekday outfits. Since I’m not a dress gal, I’ll sport cropped cargo pants with a tank top as my weekend look (I recently picked up these cargo cropped pants and this black stripe tank top). But if you are a dress gal, this maxi dress is a lovely alternative.
- Flip Flops. No summer wardrobe can be complete without summer’s easy to wear shoe, flip flops. I like these white one’s because they pair well with the white shorts and cropped cargo pants featured here.
- Espadrilles. One shoe style I see every summer is espadrilles. I recently picked up these espadrilles.
- Peasant Top. Peasant tops are carried every summer season by retailers, and for a very good reason. Because this style of top is loose and flowy by nature, I can stay cool while breaking my daily outfits out of the “t-shirt and jeans” rut. This top has a pretty mosaic print.
- Summer Bag. During the hot months I like to lighten up my bag and swap my leather bag for a lighter material such as a canvas print. This leaf print bag ties together the colors of this capsule wardrobe. Crochet and straw are other fun alternatives.
Having a group of essential items for my summer capsule wardrobe gives me a strong foundation upon which I can build out the rest of my wardrobe for the summer season.
Interested in reading more about top ten lists? Check out my previous posts:
- Top 10 Must Have’s For A Casual Spring Wardrobe
- Top Ten Lists-Helpful Or Hurtful?
- Casual Wardrobe Top Ten List
What are your top 10 must have’s for your summer wardrobe?