March 27, 2017
What do you do when you want to update your capsule wardrobe but you don’t like any of the latest trends? Easy. Ignore them all and make your own! To help you with assembling your spring wardrobe, here’s my personal list of Top 10 Must Have’s for a Casual Spring Wardrobe, along with the reason why I’ve picked each item.
- Floral Prints. When I think spring one of the first things that comes to mind is flowers. The first flowers to bloom in my area are daffodils, quickly followed by tulips. The flowers will continue to emerge throughout the spring and summer months. My runner up print would be birds. Robin’s are the first birds to re-emerge during the start of spring.
- Denim Jacket. A mid wash denim jacket has been a staple in my wardrobe for many years now. My jacket has stretch for comfort, and a mid wash which makes it easy to pair with black, white, and dark wash denim for contrast when I want a denim on denim look. A denim jacket is also great for layering to dress down a look (denim with a black lace dress is lovely!)
- Army Jacket. Another staple in my spring wardrobe is an army jacket. It’s as versatile as the denim jacket, pairing well with denim and for layering to dress down outfits.
- White Jeans. The day’s of wearing white after Memorial Day are long gone, but I find that I always reach for my white jeans more often once spring rolls around. The white instantly brightens up an outfit and as the snow and slush from winter move along, it’s far easier for me to sport white bottoms without getting dirty.
- Mid-Wash Blue Jeans. After sporting darker wash denim all fall and winter, reaching for a mid-wash denim is a refreshing change for spring. The mid-wash will also decrease the contrast of outfits. These jeans are cropped boyfriend’s, although in previous year’s I’ve worn skinny, straight, and bootcut styles.
- Light-Weight Sweater. The spring season in my area is often cold and wet, making layering items a must. I adore layering with jackets, but light weight knits also work well. I look for sweaters that are a little thinner than my winter one’s, in lighter colors to reflect spring time.
- Long-Sleeve T-Shirts. Another item to help me layer is long-sleeve t-shirts. White and navy are my current staples, and these easily layer under blazers, jackets, and knitwear.
- Three-Quarter Sleeve Knit. When I need warmth but not as much coverage as a full sleeve knit, three-quarter sleeve styles become my go to layering item. Pop a scarf over a knit and you have an instant layered look, without sporting a blazer or jacket.
- Light Colored Boots. Spring days that are cold and wet, lead me to footwear that keep my feet dry and warm. Lightening up the color of my boots makes it feel like I’m dressing for spring, even though I’m still wearing boots, footwear often associated with winter dressing.
- Flat Shoes. Usually mid-way through the spring season the weather will be warm enough to start wearing shoes without socks. Flat shoes are perfect to carry me through the warmer days of spring.
These exact styles of these items may change from year to year (I’ll often change up the style of shoes and jeans to stay current with my look), but these 10 areas are always represented in my spring capsule wardrobe.
You’ll notice that the key features of my Top 10 Must Have’s For A Spring Casual Wardrobe are items that I can layer for warmth, while showcasing lighter colors as a nod to spring. Here are some of my favorite outfits with these pieces.
Outfit #1 is a layered look for a chilly spring day. The olive jacket is paired with a long-sleeve T-shirt, the flower print scarf, and booties.
Outfit #2 features one of my favorite pairings, denim with denim. One again the flower scarf adds some warmth. I’ve lightened up the footwear as a nod to spring.
For outfit #3 I took a break from layering jackets, instead pairing the olive knit with the flower print scarf. I could also pull another color from the scarf, a navy or turquoise knit would also work for this outfit.
Interested in reading more about top ten lists? Check out my previous posts:
What are your top 10 must have’s for your spring wardrobe?