December 6, 2015
I’ve just completed Week 8 of The DH Closet Challenge Part II-Wardrobe Refinement. There was no check in for weeks 5 or 6, because I had no changes to either my working wardrobe or the boutique. However, for week 8 I’m back to shopping and adjusting both my working closet and the boutique. Sticking to the rules of the challenge for every item going into my wardrobe, double the amount is removed. That’s a tall order for someone who typically struggles to let go of their clothes.
The cardigan and the lace knit top on the left are new additions. The lace knit top is my “party” top for the upcoming holiday season. The cardigan, will work well layered over the lace top, after holiday parties have passed.
For the 3 items I’m adding (blazer and 2 turtlenecks) 6 items are removed. Five of these are from the boutique and 1 (the navy knit) is from my working closet. Out of the 6 items to be purged, only 1 (navy knit) is actually worn out. The pink blazer never fit properly, the 2 open weave knit tops, were rarely worn because they did not pair well with my work blazers, the pink knit, I only wore once since it was purchased back in July! And the navy blouse, is dry clean only, so I never reach for it (I prefer machine wash clothing apparently).
I had good purging momentum for my new additions. The black sweater/jumper on the left is taking the place of 4 items on the right. The scarf on the left, is taking the place of 3 scarves on the right. For all of the donation items, these pieces are worn out, or are some of the oldest items in my wardrobe and I’m just tired of them.
I don’t have a current photo of my working closet, because many of these pieces are in the wash, but here is the number crunching:
I purged a total of 17 items, 14 from the boutique and 3 items from my working closet. To my working closet I’ve added 7 items but the total change is only 4 items since 3 items were purged from the working closet. At the Week 5 check-in, I had 51 items in the boutique. Purging 14 of them brings this total down to 37 items.
And taking a look at my working closet, I have 60 items after week eight:
- 2 Vest (gear) (no change)
- 1 Pullover Fleece (gear) (no change)
- 3 Blazers (added 1)
- 16 Knits (added 3, purged 1)
- 5 T-Shirts (no change)
- 2 LS T’s (no change)
- 9 Jeans (no change)
- 1 Trousers (Business Capsule; no change)
- 2 Button down shirt (no change)
- 1 Blouse (Business Capsule; no change)
- 1 Scarves (purged 2, added 1)
- 4 Tanks (no change)
- 4 Thermals (no change)
- 2 Cardigan (added 1)
- 1 Hoodie (no change)
- 2 Ponchos (no change)
- 4 Pullovers/Sweaters (added 1)
But I didn’t stop there. To add to the complexity, I have pulled a number of items from the boutique to wear. Our extended warm weather, has me layering blazers as outer wear often.
Everything on the left of the white hangers (starting with the white t-shirt) are items I’ve worn from the boutique. I’ve worn 16 items from the boutique. Everything on the right are the only pieces left unworn since starting the The DH Closet Challenge Part II-Wardrobe Refinement. At this point, there are only 18 items left in the boutique.
In my next post I’ll number crunch my current working wardrobe with the boutique’s additions and I will report on what is left in the boutique.
I now have some open space in the boutique. This provides a few options:
- Relocate the rest of my business capsule wardrobe into the boutique, this would eliminate me using a second closet in the home
- Try to fit everything worn from the boutique into the working closet side, in doing so, clothing is going to be tightly packed for the working closet, but it will keep the right side of my closet dedicated to only boutique items (versus the current split with the white hangers as the divider)
- Leave the division of clothes as is (ie the boutique portion would be only half of this side of my closet, with the white hangers as the divider)
- Swap the summer items from the working closet to the boutique side (and put the recently worn boutique items to the working closet side, once again the boutique portion of my closet would be marked with the white hangers as the divider)
Most of these options have me leaving the boutique side split, with it containing half working closet items and half the boutique items.
Do you store all of your clothes in only 1 closet?