July 26, 2015
- Shoes: 19 pairs (6 added and 6 purged [second to last photo in this post], no change to total number; this total includes the 5 shoes from the business and special occasion capsule)
- Business and Special Occasion Capsule: 10 items (2 trousers added; 3 shoes added, 3 shoes purged; increased by two since the last check in)
- Beach/Swim Capsule: 8 items (no change since last check-in)
- Lounge/Sleep Capsule: 12 items (no change since last check-in)
- Spring/Summer Wardrobe: 55 items (increased by 7 items since the last check-in)
- Fall/Winter Wardrobe: 69 items (no change since last check-in)
In addition to updating my shoes and spring/summer wardrobes, back in month 5 I shuffled wardrobe items. I incorporated the tops from my business/special occasion capsule into the appropriate seasonal wardrobe. By adding these items to my daily wardrobes, I’ll get more use out of them. Essentially the tops, which now work double duty. All of my blazers are also in my seasonal capsules, to maximize their use.
Here’s a recap of the items that do not work double duty, and stay in my Business and Special Occasion Capsule:
10 items (without the shoes, which are listed below but are counted in the total shoe wardrobe above) for the Business and Special Occasion Capsule
- 2 Suits (1 Trouser Suits and 1 Skirt Suit; no change)
- Special Occasion Dress and Cardigan in the White Bag (for weddings) (no change)
- 1 Dress (1 Sheath) (no change)
- 5 Trousers (added 2; one black and one navy)
- 5 Footwear (added 3; peep toe booties, black patent pump, and nude wedge and purged 3; grey wedge, black pump, nude patent wedge; no change to wardrobe total)
Crunching the numbers
My current wardrobe total is 173 items.
To use 80% of this wardrobe only 35 item should sit unworn. However, this is across seasons.
Taking a closer look at the spring/summer season, I have 55 spring/summer wardrobe items and 8 pairs of sandals/flip flops/sneakers/flats for a total of 63 items. This means that only 13 items can sit unworn for the entire season.
I can’t forget my fall/winter wardrobe, which has 69 items and 6 pairs of boots for a total of 75 items.
However, to make this slightly more complicated, I have 18 items (Business and Special Occasion Capsule and Beach/Swim Capsule items) that sit unworn for most of the year. Out of 173 items, these 18 items make up 10.4% already! That leaves me with only 17 items that should sit unworn between both my fall/winter AND spring/summer wardrobes or ~8 items each.
Do you prefer items that crossover or items that work in only one capsule?