March 22, 2015
The use of my business capsule has increased considerably over the past few months and the time has come to update this wardrobe. Previously, my business/special occasion capsule wardrobe was covered in this post.
Rarely used, the photo at the top of this post highlights that this capsule was a collection of random items. The business portion of the wardrobe was amassed from last minute impulse purchases. I’d have one or two day notice of an upcoming meeting and be off to the stores to purchase something quickly to fulfill the role.
But this time around, I’m focusing on updating this wardrobe BEFORE I need the clothing.
To recap, the old Business/Special Occasion Capsule consisted of 21 items:
- 5 Shirts/Blouses
- 1 Cardigan
- 1 Shell
- 3 Suits (2 Trouser Suits and 1 Skirt Suit)
- Special Occasion Dress and Cardigan in the White Bag (for weddings)
- 3 Dresses (1 Sheath and 2 Printed)
- 2 Black Trousers (one straight leg and one cuffed wide leg)
- 4 Footwear (Black Sandal, Black Dressy Sandal, Nude Wedge, Black Short Boot) (not shown in closet photo but you can see the footwear in this post)
I revisited this capsule in this post, when I added the 7 tops to my fall/winter capsule wardrobe, leaving me with 14 items in my spring/summer wardrobe.
Step One: Purge Items
- Items were purged for the following reasons:
- No longer fit
- Damaged/worn out,
- Does not remix easily with capsule items
- I just no longer fancy
I purged the following items:
- Black trousers x2: Both trousers no longer fit properly.
- Dresses x2: I’m not a dress or skirt gal, nor do I favor strong prints, making the dresses an easy choice to purge.
I also purged these items:
- Purple Suit: This suit is an unusual purple color and one I never felt confident in.
- Cardigan: I haven’t reached for this cardigan since the work Holiday part, and even then I did not care for it. It just did the job of looking festive.
- Shirts/Blouses x3-The flower print coordinated with the suit. The dot print blouse I never reach for, same for the teal bow blouse.
Crunching the numbers
In total, 9 items were purged. Going back to the original capsule total of 21 items, I’m left with the following 12 items:
- 2 Shirts/Blouses (purged 3)
- 0 Cardigan (purged)
- 1 Shell (no change)
- 2 Suits (1 Trouser Suits and 1 Skirt Suit; purged 1 trouser suit)
- Special Occasion Dress and Cardigan in the White Bag (for weddings) (no change)
- 1 Dresses (1 Sheath and 2 Printed) (purged 2 dresses, only the sheath is left)
- 0 Black Trousers (one straight leg and one cuffed wide leg) (purged both pairs)
- 4 Footwear (Black Sandal, Black Dressy Sandal, Nude Wedge, Black Short Boot) (no change)
Now that I’ve reviewed the clothing in this wardrobe, it will be time to figure out what to purchase and then go shopping.
Do you prefer to plan in advance or shop last minute for your least used capsules?