February 22, 2015
I’m at month 4 of The 80/20 Challenge and it’s time for my monthly check-in.
This will be a three part series:
- Part One I reviewed and purged my Spring/Summer capsule wardrobe.
- Part Two I planned and shopped for my Spring/Summer capsule wardrobe.
- Part Three I’ll check-in on my total wardrobe and highlight how the changes to my Spring/Summer capsule wardrobe affected my total wardrobe for The 80/20 Challenge.
Now onto the fun!
Part Three: Four Month Check-In
- Well I started out strong, and reduced the size of my Spring/Summer Capsule Wardrobe by 19 items in Part One.
- Then I added an additional 10 clothing items (and 1 shoe) in Part Two.
- Also, since the last check-in (at Month 3), I added one souvenir (a cape).
- This leaves me with a total reduction of only 7 items purged from my entire wardrobe.
And here’s how the numbers look for my entire wardrobe:
- Shoes: 18 pairs (added 1)
- Business and Special Occasion Capsule: 14 items (no change)
- Beach/Swim Capsule: 8 items (no change)
- Lounge/Sleep Capsule: 12 items (no change)
- Spring/Summer Wardrobe: 48 items (updated from this post, including a breakdown of items)
- Fall/Winter Wardrobe: 71 items (added one souvenir; breakdown of items at the bottom of today’s post)
Crunching the numbers
My current wardrobe total is 171 items.
To use 80% of this wardrobe only 34 item should sit unworn. However, this is across seasons.
Taking a closer look at the current season (which is fall/winter in my area), I have 71 fall/winter wardrobe items and 4 pairs of boots for a total of 75 items. This means that only 15 items can sit unworn for the entire season.
However, to make this slightly more complicated, I have 22 items (Business and Special Occasion Capsule and Beach/Swim Capsule items) that sit unworn for most of the year. Out of 171 items, these 22 items make up 12.8% already! That leaves me with only 12 items that should sit unworn between both my fall/winter AND spring/summer wardrobes or 6 items each.
At Month 3 of The 80/20 Challenge, I had 178 items in my wardrobe. Despite removing a whopping 19 items from my spring/summer capsule wardrobe, or, 10.6% of my wardrobe, I added 12 items since the last check-in. With my new wardrobe total of 171 items it doesn’t look like my total wardrobe numbers have changed much, although my Spring/Summer capsule wardrobe feels nice and refreshed and ready to tackle the upcoming season.
So can I go shopping now?
At first, I felt like I started out strong, with a large edit of my wardrobe. And this large edit had me wanting to shop for a lot of new items, after all I’ve removed 19 things! If this had been a few years ago, I would have gone out and done just that. Because I would have felt like I had free reign to replace the large number of items I just got rid of.
But now after all of the additions, I haven’t shrunk my wardrobe much in size and if I moved blindly forward and replaced all 19 items, I’d be right back to where I started. Since I do not want to do this, number crunching and fed my need to shop and the only new item I’m searching for is the shorts I mentioned wanting from Part Two.
Finally, here’s a recap of my wardrobe for my largest capsules.
Fall/Winter Capsule Wardrobe
71 items in my fall/winter capsule wardrobe:
- 6 bottoms (jeans and trousers; no change)
- 17 toppers (this includes: pullover sweaters, blazers and cardigans; no change)
- 7 knits (used for layering; no change)
- 8 gear items (5 toppers [fleece, fleece, fleece, vest, vest], 2 layering knits [turtlenecks] and 1 bottom [jean]; no change)
- 7 shirts (for layering; no change)
- 3 LS T’s (for layering; no change)
- 4 tanks (for layering; no change)
- 6 thermal layers (no change)
- 4 scarves (added souvenir; one cape)
- 6 workout items (3 tops and 3 bottoms; not shown in closet photo)
- 3 Short Sleeve Tops/Knits (no change)
Spring/Summer Capsule Wardrobe
48 items in my spring/summer capsule wardrobe
- 6 bottoms (jeans, trousers and shorts; added 1 jean)
- 0 hoodies (demoted to gear)
- 10 toppers (this includes: pullover sweaters, blazers and cardigans; added 1 pullover and 1 cardigan)
- 5 knits (3/4 or LS, for layering; added 2)
- 5 gear items (2 jeans, 2 hoodies, 1 t-shirt; added from above, no change to wardrobe total)
- 4 shirts/blouses (added 1 blouse)
- 8 SS T’s/Tops (added 3 t-shirts)
- 3 tanks (added 1 tank [camisole])
- 3 scarves (no change)
- 2 workout gear (top and bottom; no change; not shown in the closet photo; no change)
- 2 dresses (no change)
Does editing your wardrobe make you want to shop?