(Note: This is a long and photo heavy post.)
February 19, 2015
I’m at month 4 of The 80/20 Challenge and it’s time for my monthly check-in.
This is part two of a three part series, Updating A Spring/Summer Capsule Wardrobe:
- Part One I reviewed and purged my Spring/Summer capsule wardrobe.
- Part Two I’ll plan and shop for my Spring/Summer capsule wardrobe.
- Part Three I’ll check-in on my total wardrobe and highlight how the changes to my Spring/Summer capsule wardrobe affected my total wardrobe for The 80/20 Challenge.
Now onto the fun!
Part Two-Plan and Shop
Once again I used 2 steps, this time to plan and shop for my Spring/Summer Capsule Wardrobe:
- Remind myself of my wardrobe goal, sport softer colors. In my last post I purged all of the bright bold colors (cobalt) and items that would not remix well with my largest color capsules.
- Create a wish list of items/characteristics to add to my wardrobe.
After Part One, I was left with 8 colors and 5 color capsules in my wardrobe:
- Navy (Color Capsule)
- White (Color Capsule)
- Black (Color Capsule)
- Turquoise (Color Capsule)
- Grey (Color)
- Olive (Color)
- Light Blue (Color)
- Denim (Color Capsule)
Nine Navy Color Capsule Items
- Knit Top
- Striped Cardigan
- Printed Shirt
- Striped LS T
My largest color capsule is navy and this capsule is pretty complete. And all of the prints coordinate perfectly with my next color capsule, white.
Four White Color Capsule Items:
- T-Shirts x 3
I wanted to add one more white t-shirt for layering, but am otherwise satisfied with the numbers for these two capsules.
One Olive Color Item
This olive jacket pairs well with my navy color capsule. I’m not interested in more olive colored items. But it does pair well with my next color capsule, black.
Three Black Color Capsule Items:
I wanted to add one black t-shirt for layering, but am otherwise satisfied with the numbers for this capsule, since my spring/summer wardrobe thus far is still rather dark with the bulk of my wardrobe black or navy. So what’s next? Taking a look at the final colors and color capsule currently in my Spring/Summer Capsule Wardrobe.
- One Light Blue Color Item
- Three Turquoise Color Capsule Items
- One Grey Color Item
Three bootcut jeans for my denim capsule.
I’m interested in one pair of denim shorts but am otherwise satisfied with the amount of items for my colors and color capsules.
Let’s recap, so far I want to purchase 3 items:
- White T-Shirt
- Black T-Shirt
- Denim Shorts
While these will be useful additions, I still want to add lighter colors and expand my color capsules. So where do I go from here?
Take a look at my SHOES!
My black, grey, and turquoise color capsules are already reflected in my footwear. But look at those ivory (cream? tan?) shoes. And the cowboy boots. I have very little, if anything at all, currently in my wardrobe for the largest color in my footwear. BINGO!
Purchase items to sport with both my ivory shoes and my cowboy boots. I’ll do this my creating a new color capsule, ivory.
Four Ivory Color Capsule Items and One Tan Color Item
- Ivory Knit Top
- Ivory Lace Blouse
- Ivory Jeans
- Ivory/Tan Speckled Knit
- Tan Cardigan
Ivory Camisole (is not included as a color capsule item since it is a layering piece, however, it will be counted as a tank when I total my wardrobe numbers)
The new ivory color capsule and tan color pairs well with my existing footwear.
I also decided to expand my grey color, into a grey color capsule by adding a blue/grey colored t-shirt. The white/grey striped pullover bridges the grey and white color capsules (I count it in the grey capsule). And I’ve added the white t-shirt and black t-shirt I desired. The only outstanding item, is a pair of denim shorts.
The new additions expand these color capsules nicely.
Finally I realized that my current footwear did not include my largest color capsule, navy. Since lightening up my wardrobe was a goal of mine I bridged my newest color capsule (ivory/tan) with my largest color capsule (navy) with a pair of shoes (well sneakers really).
Crunching the numbers
A total of 10 items (clothing items only) were purchased for my 38 item Spring/Summer Capsule Wardrobe. This brings my wardrobe to the new total of 48 items. Compared to last year’s Spring/Summer Capsule wardrobe of 57 items, I’ve still managed to reduce the total number of this wardrobe by 9 items, which will bring me closer to my goal of The 80/20 Challenge.
48 Items In Spring/Summer Capsule Wardrobe After Part Two (photo was at the top of this post):
- 6 bottoms (jeans, trousers and shorts; added 1 jean)
- 0 hoodies (demoted to gear)
- 10 toppers (this includes: pullover sweaters, blazers and cardigans; added 1 pullover and 1 cardigan)
- 5 knits (3/4 or LS, for layering; added 2)
- 5 gear items (2 jeans, 2 hoodies, 1 t-shirt; added from above, no change to wardrobe total)
- 4 shirts/blouses (added 1 blouse)
- 8 SS T’s/Tops (added 3 t-shirts)
- 3 tanks (added 1 tank [camisole])
- 3 scarves (no change)
- 2 workout gear (top and bottom; no change; not shown in the closet photo; no change)
- 2 dresses (no change)
In Part Three, I’ll check-in on my total wardrobe and highlight how the changes to my Spring/Summer Capsule Wardrobe affected my total wardrobe for The 80/20 Challenge.
How do you shop for your spring/summer (or fall/winter if that’s your upcoming season) wardrobe?