February 15, 2015
I’m at month 4 of The 80/20 Challenge and it’s time for my monthly check-in.
This will be a three part series:
- Part One I’ll review and purge my Spring/Summer Capsule Wardrobe.
- Part Two I’ll plan and shop for my Spring/Summer Capsule Wardrobe.
- Part Three I’ll check-in on my total wardrobe and highlight how the changes to my Spring/Summer Capsule Wardrobe affected my total wardrobe for The 80/20 Challenge.
Now onto the fun!
Part One-Review and Purge
With the arrival of spring merchandise in the stores, I really want to shop. But as I stated in this post, I want to delay shopping just a little longer so I decided to review and purge my spring/summer wardrobe for the upcoming season before I shop. This is what I started with.
57 Items In Last Season’s Spring/Summer Capsule Wardrobe:
- 8 bottoms (jeans, trousers and shorts)
- 1 hoodies
- 10 toppers (this includes: pullover sweaters, blazers and cardigans)
- 4 knits (3/4 or LS, for layeringt)
- 5 gear items (2 jeans, 2 hoodies, 1 t-shirt)
- 3 shirts/blouses
- 14 SS T’s/Tops
- 3 tanks
- 3 scarves
- 2 workout gear (top and bottom; not shown in the closet photo)
- 4 dresses
I used 2 steps to review and edit my wardrobe:
- Try everything on. This is the most time consuming and most important step. If I cannot wear it, why am I keeping it? Anything that did not fit, had noticeable stains looked worn out was donated.
- Out of the keeper items, consider the color capsules in my wardrobe (check out this post for an overview) and purged anything that stood out or was a color capsule I’m not interested in anymore.
Eleven items did not pass criteria Number 1:
- 5 T-Shirts
- 1 Knit Top
- 1 Jacket
- 1 Hoodie (from gear)
- 1 Tank
- 1 Jeans
After this first review, I was left with 11 colors and 7 of these were color capsules in my wardrobe.
(What’s the difference? If I only own one item in the color, I consider it a color to my wardrobe, think of these as the wildcards or accent colors, but if I own 2 or more items in that color I consider it a color capsule. Color capsules will be shown in my next post.)
- Navy (Color Capsule)
- White (Color Capsule)
- Black (Color Capsule)
- Turquoise (Color Capsule)
- Cobalt (Color Capsule-Purged)
- Grey (Color)
- Olive (Color)
- Red (Color Capsule-Purged)
- Light Blue (Color)
- Pink (Color-Purged)
- Denim (Color Capsule)
Eight items did not pass criteria Number 2:
- Denim Rolled Cuff Shorts
- Pink Print Dress
- Cobalt Print Dress
- Red/White Stripe Cardigan
- Red Print T-Shirt
- Red Print Top
- Black/White Print Top
- Cobalt Jeans
The Cobalt and Red color capsules were purged. The pink dress was part of the turquoise capsule and the black/white abstract print top was part of the black capsule, these items were also purged. The denim shorts were part of my denim capsule and the rolled cuff drives me batty so those were purged too.
Crunching the numbers
A total of 19 items were purged from my 57 item Spring/Summer capsule wardrobe. This left me with only 38 items and was a purge of 33.3% of this wardrobe.
38 Items In Spring/Summer Capsule Wardrobe After Part One (photo was at the top of this post):
- 5 bottoms (jeans, trousers and shorts; purged 3)
- 1 hoodies
- 8 toppers (this includes: pullover sweaters, blazers and cardigans; purged 2)
- 3 knits (3/4 or LS, for layering; purged 1)
- 4 gear items (2 jeans, 1 hoodies, 1 t-shirt; purged 1)
- 3 shirts/blouses (no change)
- 5 SS T’s/Tops (purged 9)
- 2 tanks (purged 1)
- 3 scarves (no change)
- 2 workout gear (top and bottom; no change; not shown in the closet photo; no change)
- 2 dresses (purged 2)
In Part Two, I’ll review the colors and color capsules in my wardrobe (with photos) as well as how I plan to shop and expand the color capsules.
Does you advance prep your wardrobe for the upcoming season?