January 4, 2015
To prevent falling too far behind I’m doing an early check-in on the current state of my wardrobe. I’ve been fiddling around with my wardrobe over the past few posts:
- I’ve let a pair of boots wear out without replacing them
- I’ve done a mini purge at Month 2
- I’ve planned ahead for the gifts from Christmas
- I’ve squeezed the less used capsules in my wardrobe
This is how my wardrobe stacks up after the fiddling:
- Shoes: 18 pairs (1 purged since the last check-in)
- Business and Special Occasion Capsule: 14 items
- Beach/Swim Capsule: 8 items
- Lounge/Sleep Capsule: 12 items
- Spring/Summer Wardrobe: 57 items
- Fall/Winter Wardrobe: 68 items (a breakdown of my current fall/winter wardrobe is at the end of this post)
Crunching the numbers
My current wardrobe total is 177 items.
To use 80% of this wardrobe only 35 item should sit unworn. However, this is across seasons.
Taking a closer look at the current season (which is fall/winter in my area), I have 68 fall/winter wardrobe items and 5 pairs of boots for a total of 73 items. This means that only 15 items can sit unworn for the entire season.
However, to make this slightly more complicated, I have 22 items (Business and Special Occasion Capsule and Beach/Swim Capsule items) that sit unworn for most of the year. Out of 177 items, these 22 items make up 12.4% already! That leaves me with only 12 items that should sit unworn between both my fall/winter AND spring/summer wardrobes or 6 items each.
And to keep myself accountable, here is the latest breakdown of my fall/winter capsule wardrobe after my recent fiddling:
I have 68 items in my fall/winter capsule wardrobe after all the fiddling:
- 6 bottoms (jeans and trousers; 1 purged during the mini purge and 1 added from gifts from Christmas; no change)
- 17 toppers (this includes: pullover sweaters, blazers and cardigans; 1 cardigan added from squeezing capsules)
- 7 knits (used for layering; 1 purged during the mini purge)
- 8 gear items (5 toppers [fleece, fleece, fleece, vest, vest], 2 layering knits [turtlenecks] and 1 bottom [jean]; no change)
- 7 shirts (for layering; 1 added from gifts from Christmas and 5 added from squeezing capsules)
- 3 LS T’s (for layering; no change)
- 4 tanks (for layering; no change)
- 6 thermal layers (no change)
- 3 scarves (purged 2 scarves)
- 4 workout items (2 tops and 2 bottoms; not shown in closet photo; no change)
- 3 Short Sleeve Tops/Knits (1 added from squeezing capsules)
Do you regularly check-in on the status of your wardrobe?