November 20, 2014
Now that I have completed The DH Closet Challenge and put the boutique out of business, I think it’s time to start another wardrobe challenge, don’t you? I’ve already spent the past year figuring out what my threshold for my wardrobe size was, and then promptly added to that total. So I am once again a little overloaded with extra clothes. Yikes!
Again and again I’ve heard the same rule of thumb about the use (or really lack of use) of one’s wardrobe.
People only wear about 20% of their clothes
And here are number of links reinforcing this observation:
- You only wear 20% of your wardrobe regularly
- A closet filled with regrets
- People don’t wear a shocking amount of their clothes
- Changing seasons: clothes closet declutter
- The 80/20 rule – for your closet
And for many people, including myself, this is a pretty accurate percentage! So this got me thinking, if I want to continue to pare down my wardrobe, why not flip the scale and focus on wearing 80% of my clothing instead? And hence the 80/20 wardrobe challenge was born.
The 80/20 Wardrobe Challenge
- Sport 80% of my wardrobe regularly
- One in/One out new purchases. If an item cannot be designated for purging/donation a new item cannot be purchased.
- Focus on sporting items across seasons as much as possible.
- Reevaluate every month to assess how frequently items are used.
- 20% clothing category: to consist of capsules that are not frequently used (special occasion, formal business etc) and items that are worn infrequently throughout a season
- 80% clothing category: items worn throughout the season, regularly. Regular use defined as at least two times a month for the given season.
And here is how I am starting off:
- 61 items in my fall/winter wardrobe
- 57 items in my spring/summer wardrobe
- 20 pairs of footwear in my shoe wardrobe
That leaves me with a current wardrobe total of 138 items. To use 80% of this wardrobe only 27 item should sit unworn. However, this is across seasons.
Taking a closer look at the current season (which is fall/winter in my area), I have 61 fall/winter wardrobe items and 5 pairs of boots for a total of 66 items. This means that only 13 items can sit unworn for the entire season.
However, these totals do not include my other wardrobe capsules. And since my wardrobe consists of many capsules and not just my fall/winter and spring/summer items, the bulk of the items in these capsules will be a large chunk of that 20% clothing category. By adding together my entire wardrobe for the 80/20 wardrobe challenge I’ll be forced to evaluate the impact the lesser worn capsules have to my wardrobe.
It’s easy to let these other capsules fall to the side, and sit ignored, while I focus on the clothes I wear the most. But if I allow many items to sit unworn in my frequently worn capsules, I’m going to have a lot of unworn clothing among my entire wardrobe! Including all of my clothes into one bucket will let me further pare down the clothing in my most used capsules (fall/winter and spring/summer).
Do you regularly wear only 20% of your clothes?