September 7, 2014
One of the events that sparks me to shop is—traveling. One of the many joys of traveling is getting to shop at places I can’t find at home. And I’ve always made it a point to do just that while on vacation. Unfortunately, as with most shopping habits, a little isn’t bad, but a lot can quickly wreck havoc when one is trying to decrease the number of possessions.
On a recent holiday I traveled to 9 states in 8 days with only 1 carry-on bag. Even though I did not purchase one item for each state I visited I still managed to pick up the same number of items as the number of states traveled, nine! And that was with the limitation of knowing I had only one carry-on bag for the return flight.
It can be helpful to reflect on the reasons why for a purchase, donation or return, so here we go:
- Cowboy Boots-These are actually a belated birthday present from my traveling companion, my sister. We had heard Nashville, TN has a great selection of cowboy boots and we were not disappointed.
- Studded Western Belt-I’ve been looking for a western style belt that is not too ‘over the top’ with the bling and shine and this one fit the bill perfectly from Stockyard City, OK.
- Brown Baseball Cap-An impulse purchase that became a workhorse on the trip. Purchased at the Louisville, KY zoo. Spending long days in the sun and heat, I was very happy to begin sporting this hat immediately and throughout the rest of the trip.
- Brown and Teal Baseball Cap-I enjoyed the brown baseball cap so much when I saw this brown and teal option I could not resist, in Nashville, TN.
- Red T-Shirt-An over priced t-shirt I probably should have left in the store, but could not resist a memento of visiting The Kentucky Derby Museum and Churchill Downs in Louisville, KY.
- Brown T-Shirt-A fair priced t-shirt in brown, which is a color I struggle to find in t-shirts, again from Nashville, TN.
- White T-Shirt-As you can see I got into quite a bit of trouble in TN, and picked up this t-shirt from the Grand Ol’ Opry.
- Brown Fleece-I really liked that this fleece matched my new brown and teal hat, so I snatched that up again from Stockyard City, OK.
- Christmas Tree Ornament-I couldn’t resist this Santa with a guitar ornament, again from the Grand Ol’ Opry in TN.
While I am proud of myself for avoiding purchases from a few additional states we visited including: NJ, MD, PA, WV, VA, and AR, I still purchased far more items than was probably necessary. Particularly printed t-shirts. I already have a few still sitting in the boutique and now I’ve just added another 3 to that pile.
Do vacations tempt you to shop?