August 31, 2014
Now that we are moving into fall, I thought it would be interesting to crunch some numbers from the spring/summer side of my working closet. The photo above is my final spring/summer capsule wardrobe, minus the two workout outfits which I keep folded in a dresser. I’m going to answer the same questions covered in my fall/winter analysis (part I) and (part II).
My final totals for the spring/summer capsule wardrobe mentioned in this post, was 53 items:
- 8 bottoms (jeans, trousers and shorts)
- 1 hoodies
- 10 toppers (this includes: pullover sweaters, blazers and cardigans)
- 4 knits (3/4 or LS, for layering)
- 5 gear items (2 jeans, 2 hoodies, 1 t-shirt)
- 3 shirts/blouses
- 10 SS T’s/Tops
- 3 tanks
- 3 scarves
- 2 workout gear (top and bottom; no change; not shown in the closet photo)
- 4 dresses
When did I reach my final total?
- I reached my final total of 53 items, at week 34 of The DH Closet Challenge. My spring/summer wardrobe had a few changes throughout the season.
- I began sporting spring/summer clothes during week 18 of The DH Closet Challenge.
- My largest increase in wardrobe number was from week 22 to week 28, with 24 items! This included 13 items purchased for a vacation/holiday.
- My highest total was 62 items at week 33. I immediately purged 9 items the next week and have stayed at 53 items since.
- Out of the final total, 17 items were utilitarian in their function and were for specific activities or as a layering item. These included: gear items (5), workout gear (2 outfits, 4 items), tanks (3), knits/LS T’s (4) and scarves (3).
- That left me with 36 items for outfit remixing (bottoms , hoodies , toppers , shirts/blouses , SS T’s/Tops , dresses ).
- Items worn the most, were still only worn X times. Since I remember some items being workhorses and worn often, this means items were either worn once a week, almost every week, or worn often within a week, to not be worn on other weeks.
How often did I overhaul my working wardrobe?
My first purge of working closet items, wasn’t until week 34, when I purged 9 items because I was at my highest total was 62 items at week 33. I also purged again during week 36 (5 items) and week 42 (1 item). That gives me a total of 15 items purged from the working closet during spring/summer for a turnover of 28.3%.
Did I shop during spring/summer?
Unfortunately, yes, I did shop in the retail stores and NOT the boutique during the spring/summer season. I purchased quite a few items for a vacation/holiday.
What’s left in the ’boutique’?
After my second purge of the boutique, I thought I only had fall/winter clothing left. Until I recently did an analysis of the boutique and was surprised to realize that I still have spring/summer weather clothing in there! Particularly short sleeve t-shirts with a print on them that I can only sport on weekends and short sleeve tops in fall colors.
Key Takeaway – Owning more than I need
Well the boutique is still in business so I am still owning more than I sport daily. And I am still amazed at the low number of clothes I need for a given season. I finished the spring/summer season with only 10 short sleeve t-shirts/tops. That means every week and a half, I’m repeating my tops, but this is more than enough variety for me. Before the challenge I would have thought I needed AT LEAST two weeks worth (or 14 tops) before I would want to repeat. And of course, some people will require more variety. But for me, 10 is enough.
What have you learned from your spring/summer capsule wardrobe (or fall/winter capsule wardrobe if that is the season currently ending in your area)?