August 24, 2014
I recently swapped one top which had a hole in it, for one top from the boutique for my spring/summer capsule wardrobe. Replacing items because of visual wear and tear is becoming a slow, but increasing occurrence as I continue with The DH Closet Challenge. The new top is perfect for this time of year, it’s colors remind me of fall, but I could still pair with with my navy capsule (identified in this post) during the summer months. Here’s what I added in from the boutique.
As our summer season starts to wind down, the back to school sales have come out in full force and the stores carry an assortment of fall styles and colors. Every year I shop my favorite sale for fall and that marks the beginning of my fall/winter shopping. When the back to school sales arrive I stock up on jeans, loungewear, and fall weight items. It didn’t matter if I needed any of these items or not, they are on sale and I’m itching for fall weather, so I would purchase them.
To keep from visiting the stores I’m going to pre-plan my fall activities, this way I will always have something to do instead of shop:
- Begin fall cleaning. I’ve already de-cluttered a few areas in the kitchen, but I’m sure I can find a few more areas that clutter has crept in. This is also a great time to do some of the deep cleaning such as windows, the tops of light fixtures and ceiling fans, ie clean the areas I do not cover often.
- Join a gym. I enjoy exercising but the colder it gets, the harder it is to go outside to workout. This year I’m going to join a gym and start going now, so that it will already be a habit to go to the gym once the weather is cold.
- Go apple picking and take a fall foliage tour. I’m going to mark on the calendar NOW when to go apple picking and take a tour of the changing leaves on the trees. Every year I want to to these things, but the time passes by before I ‘get to it.’ This year I’m selecting dates in advance to make sure I catch these activities while they are available.
- Reconnect with friends and family. With everyone taking their last holidays in the next week or two, fall is a great time to reconnect with people before the buzz of the holidays begin.
- Start another French Capsule Challenge. I learned a great deal from the wrap up of the last challenge and it may be fun to do this challenge again, this time with fall clothing.
I’m also still participating in The DH Closet Challenge and here is the state of my spring/summer wardrobe. Soon I will be switching over to sporting my fall/winter wardrobe.
During week 42, I still have 53 items for my spring/summer capsule wardrobe:
- 8 bottoms (no change)
- 1 hoodies (no change)
- 10 toppers (this includes: pullover sweaters, blazers and cardigans; no change)
- 4 knits (3/4 or LS, for layering; no change)
- 5 gear items (2 jeans, 2 hoodies, 1 t-shirt; no change)
- 3 shirts/blouses (no change)
- 10 SS T’s/Tops (added one top, donated one top; no change in number)
- 3 tanks (no change)
- 3 scarves (no change)
- 2 workout gear (top and bottom; no change; not shown in the closet photo)
- 4 dresses (no change)
What special activities do you plan for fall?