August 7, 2014
After creating a fall shopping list in my last post before I went to the stores, it’s time to see how my pre-planning worked for me.
Fall/Winter Shopping List
- Ivory or Camel Jumper: Complete. My goal here was a light colored topper so that my winter outfits did not always feel ‘dark.’ I fell head over heels for the ivory fisherman cable pullover.
- Brown Mid-Weight Jumper: Half Complete. I tried a number of jumpers but the only one that fit my wardrobe and was mid-weight was navy instead of brown. Since navy is the biggest core color for my spring/summer wardrobe, this jumper may be a nice transition item between the two wardrobes.
- Brown LS T: Complete. This one was easy to find and it will layer nicely under my existing sweaters that are still in the boutique and begin the transition of my fall/winter wardrobe into more brown shades.
- Ivory LS T: Complete. This was another easy one and it will function similar to the brown one above. It also layers well under the new ivory jumper.
- Yearly Replacements (bras, underwear, sleepwear, lingerie wash): Complete (not shown). I purchase these items every season during the sale.
- Dark Wash Denim Skinny/Straight Leg Jeans: Complete. I only found one premium denim jean that was on sale and fit my body type. I selected a second premium denim pair that was full price (yikes!) but I adore the fit and wash of the denim.
- Machine Washable Dress for Business Capsule: Incomplete. The dress selection did not fit my current needs/wants so I am waiting for a future shopping trip.
- Wildcard Item: Complete. I selected a pair of brown skinny jeans. I’ve been wanting to shift my wardrobe into more brown shades ever since The French Capsule Challenge.
- Wildcard Item Number Two: Complete. This is sort of a wildcard item. I ended up with a long awaited tan blazer. I had a tan blazer on my wish list for so long, I had almost forgotten I wanted one. I’ve finally found a blazer in a tan color that is flattering on my skin tone (usually they wash me out).
- Denim Shirt: Complete. This item was not originally on my shopping list, but in the stores I remembered that the shirt currently in my fall/winter wardrobe was recently added, but shows signs of heavy wear. It’s not going to last too long into the season, so I picked up one on sale as a replacement.
Overall I consider the shopping for my favorite sale successful:
- I purchased 6 out of the 9 items that were on my pre-planned shopping list.
- I ended up half-completing one item based on store availability and my personal style preferences. For this item, I filled the wardrobe need, although it was not with the exact item color/type I had in mind when I planned my shopping list.
- I left an item to be purchased at a later date. This is a big change for me, in the past, I would never have left the mall until I found something, anything, to fulfill my shopping list.
- Unfortunately I went over by two items. I picked up one too many wildcard items, and my first wildcard item was for a category I did not plan to shop for (bottoms) since I still have a few in the boutique. It is very easy to get side tracked during a sale, even with a list. I also remembered a soon to be wardrobe need, to replace my denim shirt, which is starting to get a hole in it. Since I know I’ll be looking for a replacement after one or two last wears of this piece, I purchased on one sale.
How often does shopping for a specific item take you more than one trip?