(This is part two of a 3-part post on Pre-Planning Fall, for part one, click here.)
July 27, 2014
After reviewing my criteria for updating my fall/winter capsule wardrobe, it’s time for the fun part—putting these steps into action. While updating my fall/winter capsule wardrobe, I also wanted to be sure I included everything from the boutique that was part of the mini capsule from this post (second photo).
Here’s how the clothes moved in, and out, of my closet.
- The Red Jumper was an impulse purchase at the end of last season and did not get much use. It is also a very bright red color and I prefer the color of the Darker Red Jumper from the boutique.
- The Black/Cream Multi Print Jumper was a workhorse last season and looks worn. Since I always wore it with black boots, I wanted to replace it with the Light Grey Jumper from the boutique, which will also pair well with black boots.
- The Purple Cable Turtleneck drove me batty towards the end of last season, because it left fuzz balls everywhere after a while. In the boutique, I had a duplicate of this piece in black. I figured I should use the Black Cable Turtleneck this season until it wears out enough to also start leaving fuzz balls everywhere.
- The Wine Turtleneck is cashmere and shrunk after dry cleaning (does this happen to anyone else?) and it is now too tight. I replaced it with an Ivory V-neck that was in the boutique, which is also cashmere and from the same manufacturer.
- As with the items in my first photo, I had duplicates for colors, styles, or both sitting in the boutique, so I updated all of my Layering tops with Duplicates from the boutique.
- The Blue Printed Scarf was rarely worn so I replaced it with a Solid Black Scarf from the boutique that I hope will get more use.
- The Leopard Print Jeans were fun to sport, but I’m tired of them so I replaced them with a Dark Wash Jean from the boutique.
- The Coral Hoodie was another piece that drove me batty last season. The back is cable and it weighed down the hoodie so that it would always press against my neck. The Cream Zip Up from the boutique was an impulse purchase that last season that I was sad to never get a chance to use so I am happy to finally get to add it into my working wardrobe.
- The White Shirt was a great layering piece, but has yellow stains near the armpits and thread is pulling out of the seams. It was updated with a Denim Shirt from the boutique which has always been a useful layering piece. Unfortunately the denim shirt already shows signs of heavy wear so I do not think it will last too long into the fall/winter season.
- The Tweed Blazer is a few years old and still in great shape. I’ve never loved this piece, but I do like the idea of a tweed blazer. Until I find a version that I like, I am going to use the Red Blazer from the boutique.
- The Black and Grey knits were layering pieces and are looking worn so I updated them with similar Black and Grey knits from the boutique that can also be used for layering under blazers.
- The Camel Bomber was moved to my outer wear capsule. It is a little too heavy to layer underneath my winter coats and I rarely wore this piece in place of a blazer. I preferred to use it as outerwear. This meant I had room for a new piece from the boutique, a Wine Sweatercoat.
- The Brown Hoodie was purged, it was a gear piece and it was starting to show wear. I demoted the Cobalt Hoodie to gear, and replaced the Cobalt Hoodie with the Turquoise Knit, which will layer with blazers as easily as the cobalt hoodie did.
My next post will wrap up this discussion on pre-planning for fall.
Do you refresh your wardrobe before the season?