(I started The DH Closet Challenge in November of 2013 therefore I’ll be catching up on my progress to date in a series of posts.)
March 9, 2014
Reflections for Week 18
- Combining Spring and Fall: At this point in the season, we are slowly shifting to spring weather. I consider my fall/winter capsule wardrobe complete and will not be making any changes to this portion of my working closet until the fall season rolls around again. I do plan to try and incorporate as many of my fall pieces as possible into my spring/summer capsule wardrobe. One of my personal goals is a small, four season wardrobe, which I think will work well for me, if my spring and fall pieces can be used for both seasons. I don’t expect every fall piece to work for spring, or vice versa, but if at least some of these pieces did, that would be nice because then the pieces are working more often. And usually our spring weather is very short and chilly, moving quickly from really cold to really warm days, and fall items are usually a little warmer than spring versions (long sleeves instead of ¾, knits without holes or sheer detailing).
- More time fixing ‘meh’ outfits: Since I’m working with less clothes than what was in my entire wardrobe before the challenge, I’ve noticed that I am able to spend more time re-working outfits. If I sport a combination I don’t like, I have more incentive to remix the outfit until I come up with a combination that makes me happy. Previously, I would sport an outfit I felt ‘meh’ about, and then attempt to fix the problem the next day by shopping for a new outfit, instead of spending the time working on fixing the ‘meh’ outfit instead.
- I’m a fan of bright colors, over spring colors: I’ve been spending quite a bit of time lately, looking at spring fashions. We have had an especially snowy, cold winter season this year and when I first saw the hints of spring clothes in stores, they seemed so refreshing compared to all the dark shades of fall/winter clothes. But now that the weather is shifting just a little, and I’m seeing more and more pastels and cropped trousers and dresses, I am realizing that most of these pieces just don’t really ‘sing’ to me. And I don’t mind sporting none spring colors, during spring. I’ve been reaching for the brightest pieces in my wardrobe (cobalt jeans, coral hoodie, Kelly green blazer, white lace sweater) to wake up my wardrobe. Apparently I’m not a big fan of many more traditional spring colors on me, even if they are refreshing to look at after a winter season. This maybe why my spring wardrobe has always been so small, I’d rather sport a bold color or a stripe, instead of a pastel or a flower print.
I’ve added 7 items for the spring/summer capsule wardrobe since the last check in.
Completing week 18, I had 14 items for the spring/summer capsule wardrobe:
- 3 bottoms (no change [cobalt, white, bf])
- 0 hoodies (no change)
- 6 toppers (this includes: pullover sweaters, blazers and cardigans; added one kelly green blazer, one printed bomber jacket, and one ¾ sleeve sweater]
- 0 knits (for layering; no change)
- 0 gear items (no change, not warm enough to add yet)
- 0 shirt (no change)
- 1 SS T’s (no change)
- 1 tank (added one tank, for layering now and stand alone with shorts later)
- 3 scarves (added two scarves)
- 0 workout outfits (top and bottom; no change, not warm enough to add yet)
Do you know how many items are in your spring/summer capsule wardrobe?