(I started The DH Closet Challenge in November of 2013 therefore I’ll be catching up on my progress to date in a series of posts.)
November 24, 2013
Stats are listed first, observations are listed second.
My fall/winter capsule wardrobe size after 3 weeks is 34 items:
- 5 bottoms
- 1 hoodie
- 4 toppers (added a tweed blazer this week)
- 6 knits (added a striped knit this week)
- 3 gear items (added a sweatshirt this week)
- 1 shirt (for layering)
- 2 LS T’s (for layering)
- 4 tanks (for layering)
- 2 thermal layers
- 2 scarves
- 2 workout outfits (top and bottom)
Reflections for Week 3:
I started week 3 with 31 items. After doing the challenge for 2 weeks, surely this would be enough items going into week 3 right?
Wrong. I ended up adding an additional knit (stripes) and a topper (tweed blazer) right away due to a laundry bottleneck. Then I realized I’ve been sporting the same gear outfit for two weeks straight so I added one more item, a sweatshirt.
- It’s harder to save clothes when you have only a small number in rotation: When my closet was stuffed, I had a habit of reaching for the same handful of items again and again. But now I find it easier to wear everything in my closet more often, which is an important goal for me. I only have 6 knits in my closet right now, so it’s not as easy to save one for later, I have to wear it.
- I haven’t given special occasion items a second glance when I visit the “boutique:” Special occasion items (suits for interviews, dresses for weddings, etc) are not typically going to be worn often and I don’t mind if those items sit.
- You can remix a lot of outfits from a small number of clothes: I’ve worn some combinations that I would not have thought to create prior to The DH Closet Challenge, especially print mixing. I’ve liked some of them, but not all of them which brings me to a key insight for this week.
- I have a low tolerance for remixing individual pieces and a higher tolerance for repeating entire outfits: To keep from boredom I’ve been trying to sport the same items in different combinations and I don’t care for it. I’d rather wear the same combinations again and again and just have a few more combinations to pick from instead. It’s too much thinking when getting dressed trying to remember if I’ve already worn an item in a specific combination or not and how I should combine it with something else for a “new” look. I find capsule challenges interesting because you can find a new favorite combination, but to do so every day is just not for me.
I have a few more reflections from week 3 which I will summarize in my next post.
What’s your repeating tolerance for your outfits?